Sherry Williams’s Resilient Spirit in her Fight Against Breast Cancer

Sherry Williamss Resilient Spirit in her Fight Against Breast Cancer

Emily Kirk, Writer

October has been known as “Breast Cancer Awareness” month for 32 years. It was founded in 1985 by a group of women who wanted to make a difference for breast cancer. For every eight women, at least one will be diagnosed. Sad to say, many women in our own community have been diagnosed including a faculty member from our own high school, Mrs. Sherry Williams. This week I had the chance to sit down with Mrs. Williams and ask her some questions about her journey  throughout her diagnosis.

What made you go to the doctor?

I have always been healthy! I very rarely go to the doctor. I had been on hormone replacement therapy for a year. In order to get the prescription filled, I had to have a mammogram. I scheduled the mammogram after school the week before Thanksgiving 2016.

When were you diagnosed?

I got the phone call Sunday, Nov. 20. “We found something abnormal with your test. We’ve scheduled you for a 3D mammogram Tuesday, Nov 22.” The day before Thanksgiving, I got another call. “We’re concerned with the results of your tests. We’ve scheduled you for a biopsy next Tuesday.” I didn’t say anything to my family. I didn’t want to ruin their Turkey Day celebrations! Outpatient Biopsy Tuesday, Nov.29, 2016. I was diagnosed the next day. First thing each morning I touch base with Ms. Evans for a run down of that day’s activities. I was in her office when I got the doctor’s call.

What stage were diagnosed?

2B – Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Is there a family history of breast cancer?

No! No one in my family has EVER had breast cancer.

How did you react?

Shock…disbelief…I knew from the beginning I would fight with every fiber of my being. My children lost their father to lung cancer. My daughter was 7 and my son was 2 when their dad died. I knew that I could not let cancer take me too. I began to research (I’m a voracious reader) and weigh my options. Once I wrapped my brain around the fact that I had cancer and had developed a game plan with my medical team, I was ready to meet the challenge of my life head on!

How long before you felt comfortable telling people?

I am an extremely private person. It was very difficult for me. Ms. Evans actually told the faculty while I was meeting with the surgical oncologist. Very few people knew…my family, my CHS family, and a few close friends. Once surgery, chemo, and radiation were complete and I was in remission, I could discuss it!

Did you have a support network?

YES! My husband and my family were with me every step of the way. My CHS family was extremely supportive. Above all, I was lifted up in prayer by friends, family, and people I didn’t even know. I am a walking testimony to the power of prayer!

What helped you the most?

A positive attitude and faith.

Did you face any obstacles during your treatment process?

Of course! Surgery was difficult. The effects of chemo were horrible…the nausea, mouth sores, everything tasted like metal. Losing my hair was the worst! I never considered myself a vain woman, but losing my hair was the worst. Losing my hair meant people would know I was sick. Radiation not only made me radioactive, but the fatigue was unreal. It caused me to get the worst sunburn of my life!

How did surviving breast cancer impact your life long term?

It definitely put things into perspective for me. I definitely don’t “sweat the small stuff” anymore. Time has become an extremely valuable thing for me! I am proud of the woman I am today….I went through Hell becoming her!

What message would you like to provide women in the community?

NEVER give up!!! You are stronger than you know.

If you could describe your journey in one word what would that be?

Resilience – you never know how tough you can be until you’re faced with such an intense battle!

Mrs. Williams went through many tough battles to get better. She had a very strong support system who prayed for her more than she could ever know.