Jackets Run Rule their way to Victory

Win Dover Tournament

Aaron Hogue, Writer

Clinton High School baseball had a flawless week winning 4 games. They finished first place in the Dover Rainout Classic, and began Conference play 1-0.  

Tuesday, March 6th the Yellowjackets played a conference game against the Atkins Red Devils. Atkins got off to an early lead 2-0 in the top of the first inning. Then the Yellowjackets came around in the bottom half and tied it up and never let up. Junior Aaron Hogue started the game and threw 36 pitches through 3 innings. Then sophomore Kragen Bradley slammed the door with 2 shutout innings. Clinton run ruled Atkins after 5 innings with a score of 12-2. Aaron Hogue was the winning pitcher improving his record to 2-0 on the mound. This win gave Clinton their first conference win of season.

Friday, March 9th CHS traveled to Dover to play their first game in the Rain Out Classic. First game the Yellowjackets played the Booneville Bearcats. The Jackets held the Bearcats in the top of the first then got the bats started. Senior Bryce Dodd lead the inning off with a double off the wall. Senior Ty Johnson then drove Dodd in with a single. Junior Aaron Hogue hit Clinton’s first homerun of the season scoring Johnson and himself. After jumping out to a 3-0 lead after one inning there was no looking back. Clinton run ruled Booneville in 5 innings 10-0. Ty Johnson was the starting pitching. Johnson threw a complete game shutout improving his record to 2-0.

Later that night Clinton played their second game of the Rain Out Classic against the Ozark Hillbillies. The Hillbillies got out to an early lead 1-0 through the first inning. In the bottom of the second inning Clinton brought the bats alive scoring 5 runs then it was down hill for Ozark. Clinton run ruled the Hillbillies in 5 innings with a final score of 13-1. Senior Bryce Dodd got the start on the mound and pitched a complete game only allowing 1 run. This win gave Dodd his first win of the season. This win advanced Clinton to the Championship for a rematch with rival Heber Springs.

Saturday, March 10th Clinton traveled back to Dover to play in the championship game of the Rain Out Classic. Aaron Hogue started on the mound shutting down Heber the first inning in order striking out 2 of the 3 batters. Clinton got on the board scoring one in the bottom of the first inning. Clinton led 1-0 after 1. Heber Springs answered back scoring 1 in the top of the second inning. Clinton retook the lead in the bottom of the third scoring 2 runs. Then Clinton started rolling. Heber could never regain the ground it lost getting beat 11-1 in 5 innings. Aaron Hogue went 4 innings on the mound and Kragen Bradley finished it out with 1 inning. This improved Hogue’s record to 3-0 on the season.

Clinton played 3 games in the Rain Out Classic and run ruled all 3 teams. They won the 3 games with a combined score of 34-2. The Clinton Yellowjackets were completely dominant throughout the Rain Out Classic. These wins improve Clinton’s season record to 7-1. Huge Congratulations to Clinton Yellowjackets on being the Dover Rain Out Classic Champions!

Clinton plays Tuesday, March 13th a home game against a strong Bald Knob team at 4:30. Then they play Thursday, March 15th another home game against conference foe the Pottsville Apaches at 4:30. Come be loud and proud for your hometown CLINTON YELLOWJACKETS!!!

Lora Hinchey