Honoring the Fighters : Interview with Susie King

Savannah Lynch, Editor

The world is filled with many women : strong, humble, caring, powerful and loving souls who live every moment to the fullest. All of these qualities are found in Mrs. Susie King.  She has grown even more strong and loving in the journey she has set foot on after being diagnosed with breast cancer. Her journey started when a yearly mammogram appointment showed concern. On September 25th, 2017, Susie got the call to learn she had been diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer, a condition that runs in her family history. She says, when addressing her reaction to the news, “I didn’t have much of a reaction. I was in early and it was very small when they told me! I knew that I needed to know what to do and get it through and over with! I was ready for the fight!” She immediately told family what she had heard and went more public a little later. Her family has been the biggest contributor in getting her through her journey, and her neighbors are also a part in her support network. Her next step will be 6 weeks of radiation, as far as known. When asked to describe her journey in one word, Susie said it would be “Wow! It is definitely eye opening. The things you think will never happen to you does. You see all these people experiencing something and the next day you wake up, it’s you! You feel overwhelmed and stop for a second and think “I’ve had a good life. I’ve raised my kids and watched my grand kids grow up! But it at first is overwhelming and then it hits you. You’re one of the lucky ones.”” A message to the women in the community from Susie would be to always keep your appointments and never miss them.

It is an honor to be surrounded with such inspirational and strong women in our community. Susie is the grandmother of CHS students Charleston and Kadance Sowell and CJH student Annabelle Sowell. We are all keeping Susie, her family, and other fighters and survivors in our thoughts and prayers!