There’s No Place Like Homecoming

Brittany Shannon, Editor

Friday, October 6th, was the date of an old tradition at Clinton High School. It was the day of Homecoming. The week of Homecoming is always a lot of students’ favorite week of the year! There was a week of dressing up, a big pep rally for the entire school, a parade, a tailgate, a homecoming ceremony, a football game, and a dance. This is how it all played out.

The week of homecoming is always an exciting time. This year, the theme was “There’s no place like HOMEcoming.” It started out with “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” , “Twister Tuesday”, “Which Witch is Which Day”, “Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!”, and ended with “Bring the Storm” where everyone wore black and gold to support their yellowjackets!

The pep rally included everyone from kindergarten to the 12th grade! Some kids thought the Homecoming maids were princesses! In the pep rally, the Homecoming maids and their escorts took part in the Homecoming Ceremony, and the 2017 Homecoming Queen was announced! Anna Knoerr is the official queen of the school, and she represents it very well. There were games during the pep rally, a well planned skit, cheering, and of course, the Clinton Alma Mater.

The Clinton Homecoming parade involved classic cars, floats, and lots of candy! There was a Homecoming Float Contest hosted by the Landers Family. The parade could not have been possible without Wanda Shannon organizing it, and getting it approved by the city. The winner of the float contest was the Beta/FFA Float which consisted of an elaborate Emerald City, rainbow arch, characters, and music.

The Homecoming Tailgate kicked off before game time.  It involved grilled burgers and hot dogs, gaga ball, and lots of laughter. A big thank you goes out to Pee Dee Baptist Church, Simmons Bank, and the Clinton Athletic Booster Club for putting that on for the community!

During the Homecoming ceremony, the Homecoming maids walk with either their father or a father figure. I even know one of the fathers that broke out his funeral suit just for the special occasion *cough* Danny Shannon *cough*. Everyone who was able to escort the beautiful maids were honore,d and very happy to do so!

The Homecoming game was a successful game on the scoreboard. Yet, there were difficulties towards the end of the game when one of the Yellow Jackets’ star players, Caleb Bowman, went down. It was a struggle at the time to handle the situation and all of the hustle and bustle, but Bowman ended up being perfectly fine and the players made it through the tough time by giving 110% for their teammate. Melbourne didn’t stand a chance against the hearts of the Yellow Jackets!

To end the Homecoming festivities, there had to be a dance. Thank you to FBLA, Coach Johnson, Beta Club, and Mrs. Hutchins for making that possible for the student body. Also a thank you to Joseph Smith for dropping some sick beats that would knock your socks off!

Homecoming was a huge success, and there was so much work that went into it. Thank you to everyone that participated and put it together! There truly is, no place like HOMEcoming…

For more pictures go to the Photo Gallery.