Covid-19

Covid-19

Coronavirus has taken a great toll on the world. Schools and small businesses were shut down, and many people were fired, laid off, and forced to stay in their homes and quarantine for many months. Lots of people started to stock up on food, Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and many more cleaning supplies.

Five months later, Clinton Public Schools have opened back up. Schools have new rules regarding Covid-19 that have been enforced to keep all students and staff healthy while learning.

Some of the rules are, masks must be worn at all times, unless you can socially distance yourself 6 feet away from each other, and while eating.

The principal of CJHS, Mr. Michael Wells says, “I think the biggest thing about Covid-19 has been the change from what was working well for us. Changing lunches has made it more difficult for us to support students who need homework assistance through ZAP. The need to balance virtual students and in-person students has made it harder for teachers to use some of the interactive lessons that they have developed over the years, and most of all we miss the personal interactions and connection with our students that chose the virtual route this year.  But I will say I am very proud of the students and how they have responded to all the changes. The safety procedures are being followed in the classrooms, and thanks to that we have had a lower spread of cases than other schools around the state. Let’s keep up the good work so we can get back to normal as soon as possible.”

We have also interviewed one of our CJHS and CHS football coaches, Coach Hudson. He says, “Covid-19 took away our Spring football, 7on7’s, and team camps this summer. We were definitely behind when we started practice in August. Mask wearing and social distancing has changed the way we are able to coach from the sidelines. I’m ready for things to go back to normal.”

Many people’s lives have been affected by Covid-19, and some have even been taken. Many Students have been affected because of virtual learning. Some students show up to school to learn and some students have chosen to do virtual learning. Regardless of how Clinton students are learning, at least we are one of the fortunate districts that get to come to school.