Clinton High School Summer Activities

Brittany Shannon, Co-Editor

CHS was represented all over the country throughout the summer. Here is a recap!

The Beta Chapter had students qualify for the National Convention in Walt Disney World, and they were successful there! Gisselle Hernandez got top 10 in the Spanish 1 Division, Anna Knoerr received top 10 in Creative Writing, and Alondra Carrizales received 4th in Photography.  

The FCCLA Chapter had much success as well at National Convention in Nashville, TN! Lauren Wells, Tania Armas, and Ellie McCormac won Silver Medal(2nd in the nation) in the Junior Life Event Planning. Also, Faith Sowell won the Bronze Medal(3rd in the nation) in the Junior Chapter in Review Portfolio Event.

Four students were selected to go to Girls State and Boys State. Savannah Lynch and Brittany Shannon went to Girls State at Harding University while Martin Quintero and Lucas Potts went to Boys State at the University of Central Arkansas. They were privileged to learn the elements of government while having fun doing so.

Every year, Petit Jean Electric Cooperative is part of Youth Tour. Youth Tour is a week of every summer that rural cooperatives take upcoming seniors from every state to Washington D.C. There, they learn why freedom is not free. One of CHS’s students, Brittany Shannon, entered in the essay contest to be eligible to go on this trip and she was selected. While in Washington D.C., she was able to visit Arlington Cemetery, the Smithsonian museums, Library of Congress, United States Capitol, Holocaust Museum, and much more!

Khristina Huff participated in Arkansas Governor’s School! It was held at Hendrix University, where upcoming seniors from all over the state, go to participate in learning over the summer at a higher level.

Clinton High School students were very busy and very successful over the summer.