Looking for Four

Staff, Writer

The rivalry between Clinton and Heber Springs dates back decades, but 4 years ago it became officially known as Battle of the Little Red.  Battle of the Little Red is the season opener for both teams. This year the game will be held at Heber Springs on September 6, but regardless of the game being held on their field it is OUR game.  Clinton commands a 3-0 lead in the series and is looking for four. “The Heber game is always a big game for us. Both schools will put up a fight, it promises to be a high intensity game. We are looking to bring the trophy back home to Clinton where it belongs,” said senior, Ethen Drake.

In the week leading up to the game the schools compete for various charities in what has become known as the Community Impact Award.  This year we will be competing on Tuesday for Pack the Backpack (non-perishable food items for the local food banks to be used in the school backpack program).  Wednesday will be Answer the CALL (diapers and wipes for the Van Buren County CALL program). The community is encouraged to participate! Items can be dropped off at any of the following locations:  Clinton High School Office, Cowboy Dodge, S&P Insurance, First Service Bank, Simmons First Bank, Regions Bank, Elite Automotive, and Farm Bureau Insurance. 

While the competition is fierce Clinton and Heber Springs are coming together to Fight Like a Kid.  From now until noon on game day both schools are raising funds for Fight Like a Kid. Fight Like a Kid is an organization that works with Make a Wish to grant wishes for children battling childhood cancer.  Clinton will be making their donation in honor of our own hero, Devon Wooten Donations can be made to the Clinton High School Office or an account has been set up at First Service Bank. Checks should be made payable to the Clinton Athletic Booster Club.  The money will be set aside to grant a wish to a Greers Ferry Lake area kid battling childhood cancer.